Thursday, February 28, 2008

It took 7 seasons

Alright, first things first, Scott is now temporarily behind the wheel of this family blog. I have sat idly by long enough. And as much as I adore them, there are only so many pictures of my kids, and stories about the park or the zoo or whatever that I can take. It's time to talk about far more pressing issues - like Idol.

For 6 seasons, I intentionally avoided this nonsense and I openly mocked guys like Tobi and Tibbitts who sat cross-legged on the edge of the couch soaking it all in like they were at some pseudo-cultist yoga class. I just couldn't get into it. Angie, on the other hand, like most of you other lemmings, gleefully scheduled her whole week around making time for every show. Meanwhile, I would aimlessly wander the house looking for something else to do, rarely having much success. And then, it happened.

One fateful night a couple weeks ago, I overheard this kid David sing the Bryan Adams song "Heaven." It should be noted that Bryan Adams was a very influential singer during my formative years, and many a church dance was spent swaying to his epic ballads. So when I heard it sung by this kid, I was entranced. Watch for yourself.




The next thing I knew, I was in. I'm committed. How did this happen? Just look at him!! I actually start acting and sounding like Paula Abdul when this kid gets after it. He is so gracious, it is incredibly disarming and it probably drives the other contestants crazy because they wish they could hate him, but how can you hate this kid?

Trust me, I still don't feel totally comfortable about all this. I have gone through a period of self-loathing as a result, but like St. Augustine before me, I offer this post as my Confession.

25 comments:

russandkatie said...

My husband finally got sucked in this season too!

Christine said...

Looky here - this is what happens when our very own Mr. Las Vegas no longer is occupied with Mitt 08! Scott if I didn't know you better - one would think you've been wearing your white swimtrunks and baking in the SUN way too long! I'm so funny I make myself crack up! Seriously though...welcome to the world of American Idol or AI as we call it!

Steph said...

Real men do watch idol!!! I am glad you like it -- because my husband watches all the episodes with me....altho he can't help but make comments about how gay and femme some of the guys are.....and it is pretty funny! Thank heavens for DVR so I can replay so he can watch all the shows, as I watch them for the second time! We never miss it, and David Archuleta is PHENOMENAL -- you gotta love him! Ang, i wish we could eat cadbury minis, and watch it together too!!!!
xoxoxo

Mitch said...

haha its so addictive. we dvr everything! that murry utah kid is amazing!

smithfam said...

Although I am sure it does'nt have the same excitement factor as watching BYU get killed at some sport, AI is quite entertaining.

Welcome to the dark side!

smithfam said...

Although I am sure it does'nt have the same excitement factor as watching BYU get killed at some sport, AI is quite entertaining.

Welcome to the dark side!

Lori said...

This post is HILARIOUS!!! We're actually not American Idol viewers in this house (nothing against it, we just haven't kept up with it) ... but I have to tell you, this post ... this post makes me want to tune in and start supporting young David. Wow!!!

Tanner Family said...

Who knew you were anti idol, coming from the guy who used to watch the cooking channel! I think its Dad's favorite show, he knows the details of each contestant, its hilarious!

Amber said...

That's hilarious!! David is amazing & obviously our top choice. Welcome to Idol. (It took us about 3 seasons before we fell into the Idol trance.)

Jeff said...

Damn you Fuller! You finally came around...and why?! Because of Bryan Adams and David Archuletta?!

Quoting a line from Anchorman, "You sound like a gay."

I'm out!

Michelle said...

Scott-Welcome to the blogging world. Stephen is so into David Archuleta, it's not even funny. It's all he's been talking about this week. I can take the show or leave it. Just don't get so into American Idol that you miss the birth of your baby because you CAN'T miss the episode!

Jess Perry said...

Trent loves this season too...it has gotta be David's doing!!

Bea said...

Scott, you can write a play about Amercian Idol and NOT be a fan!!! How could that be?!! I agree with you in that David is one of the best singers in the competition this season. You're missing out on Roadshow this year, aren't you glad?!!!

Lindsey S. said...

Oh my gosh, my husband and I are so into it! We love david! I think I voted for him over 50 times!

Haley Warner said...

Go Team David.. the world stops turning for us on Tues & Wednesdays.. !

Anonymous said...

Scott you are so cheesy, i mean of course your favorite song is Heaven. Haha

Francis Family said...

So funny- only because we had to tape that show on our DVR and we have seriously rewatched him at least 10 times! He really is very talented. I also remember being very moved by Bryan Adams in our High School 'days'! :)

Angela and Mike said...

Scott, I admire you for your confession. I, like most of those lemmings, have always obsessed over American Idol and, also, plan my week around the episodes. Seriously. I am proud of you for admitting your true feelings. I love David Archuleta too...and he's mormon. Crazy. Welcome to the AI club. Maybe we should get together and watch it since Mike likes it also.

Kristen said...

He is such a cutie! I hope he wins!

Nicole Cave said...

You're crazy...I love idol...and I am a fan of this kid too...he sings so effortlessly!

Katie said...

Ang, It's so good to hear from you!! I love your blog, very impressed. Looks like your going to need to give me blogging lessons when you come up. Keep in touch.

theleguis said...

scott fuller, you are a crack up. Who doesn't love this kid. I got sucked in a few seasons back love brooke too. This is marsha proffit by the way now its leguizamon. Stumbled upon you webs and you crack me up. where are you guys living? Cali or AZ?

Tiffany said...

Angie, that's hillarious that your husband got on the blog to write about his conversion to American Idol!!! That's awesome! It's probably nice having someone to judge with and discuss who is better, etc... You have an adorable family! :)

Emily Brimhall said...

Hey Angie, I just changed my blog to private, I didn't want to leave my cute high school friend out. Shoot me your email, emilybrimhall@gmail.com. and I'll set you up.

Amber said...

hey we went to a private blog. i'd love to send you an invite. if you want one you can email me @ fishkisses81@gmail.com

Thanks!